PRINCIPLE TEACHER: ANGELA O’CONNOR
Angela started Irish dancing at the age of 6. She danced competitively at world championship standard until the age of 18 whilst training with the Aaron Crosbie Irish dance Academy. She also studied performing arts after leaving school which covered all genres of dance including, ballet, tap, street dance and contemporary.
Angela then went on to have a career on stage which took her all over the world.
- She travelled the world with 'Lord of the dance' for four years as a main backline dancer and understudy for one of the leading roles.
- Performed lead dancer in 'Stormforce' productions during its London run. 'Stormforce' was a new show which has conceived by fusing two of the most popular music and dance genres in the world...... Irish and African!
- Performed at the Stephen Gately memorial concert.
- Angela now often performs as part of 'Ceili Max', a ceili band made up of world class musicians.
- One of Angela's most recent performances was as part of the Easy Street band where she danced and sang during a cruise of the Canary Islands and Portugal!
- Angela also now has her own dance troupe 'Aingeal' which has been requested to perform at events worldwide including a concert for 'Bushmills whiskey' in Portugal.
On returning from her travels performing all over the world, Angela decided that she wanted to inspire others by what she had learnt. She studied as an Irish dancing T.C.R.G, Personal Trainer and Sports Therapist. On qualifying in 2004, she went on to open her own dance school the O'Connor Academy of Dance.
Her passion for Irish dance/ fitness and the arts has helped the Academy to grow to the success it has reached today with dancers aged from 3 up to 70 enjoying dance classes with Angela. Angela loves to pass on her many years of experience and knowledge to younger dancers and seeing them flourish and achieve the best that they can be. 'There is no greater satisfaction than seeing a child grow in confidence and learn a new skill, the feeling of being able to express oneself through dance is a feeling like no other'.